Christmas Carousel, 2005

Christmas Carousel, 2005

Sometimes called a Christmas Pyramid. Mostly birch. Click the photo for more info. Built as a gift; again not entirely successful but good enough to make me want to build another.

Advertisements

Playing Card Box, 2006

Playing Card Box, 2006

Maple and Mahogany, Tru-Oil finish. Custom-sized to fit a deck of Russian playing cards. Built as a gift for a friend.

Porch Lantern, 2004

Porch Lantern, 2004

White Oak and copper. From a plan in Workbench magazine. This was harder to make than it should have been since I didn’t have a table saw to do splined miter joints and the like. (I used a router table and rabbetted everything instead.) The copper was cut on the scroll saw; a stained-glass supply house cut the glass for me. There is no protective finish on the copper and it began tarnishing after only one day outside. Lighting is from a 40-watt bulb.

Monkey Mobile, 2003

Monkey Mobile, 2003

Walnut, Purpleheart, Cherry, and Oak (I think). Made for one of my nieces. Fishing line was used to suspend the monkeys from the crossarms at top. It’s a hassle; I’ll use black thread next time. The monkey pattern was adapted from those used in Barrel of Monkeys ™.

Wow, that’s a lousy photo.

Sun, 2003

Intarsia Sun, 2003

Pine and poplar. This plan is Cherry Tree 41-585. My first attempt at intarsia, which involves lots of trimming with the scroll saw and the conversion of about half of your wood into sawdust. (I used a 1″ belt sander.) Dye is Woodburst yellow with a bit of orange. Useful tip: add dark color to light, not light color to dark. I’m actually pretty pleased with how this came out. It’s been repaired at least two or three times, as gluing to end grain isn’t the best way to stick bits of wood together.

Pen Stands, 2002-2003

Pen Stand, Oak, 2002

Oak. I’ve made these out of oak, walnut, and scrap plywood. The walnut was particularly nice, but I don’t have photos of it as someone actually gave me $20 for it.

I’d been looking for some kind of pen display stand and couldn’t find anything, so I made one. The design is rather mechanical, as I was looking at a lot of Victorian-style machinery and steam engines at the time.

Box, 2009

Yellowheart sides and handle with mahogany lid.

I built this for my sister and her family. If it turned out badly, I’d have kept it, but it was good enough to give away. (As of 2010, it was being used to store a matched set of ping-pong ball pistols.) It’s about 5” tall, and twice that in length.

The box is 1/2” yellowheart with a 1/4” mahogany lid. Finish is thinned satin polyurethane. I guess you’d call it a wiping varnish, but it’s just straight from the can mixed with some thinner and applied with a rag. I think it’s three coats.

The base is mahogany as well. It’s set into a slot near the bottom edge of the sides.

The lid just sits in a rabbet around the top edge. Here you can see my lousy mitered corners. They were done with a 45-degree shooting board and a Stanley #3 handplane. (recent production from England, not an old one.)

I used the tape-and-glue method to clamp the sides. It didn’t work as well as I’d hoped, or maybe I had too much glue in the joint. Still, a bit of sanding dust and glue filled what minor openings there were in the corners.

Plate Stand, 2002

Cherry plate stand, 2002

Cherry with a wax finish. Made as a Christmas gift for my mother, who paints plates better than I make stands for them. Actually, I’m fairly pleased with the result on this one. The design is my own, inspired vaguely by Celtic knotwork patterns.

Putting a wax finish on fretwork is a pain. Spray lacquer is the way to go for this type of work.

 

Mantel Clock, 2002

Clock, 2002

Oak and birch plywood. While I’m not wild about the miter joints or the finishing, or the placement of the face marks, this came out okay. We needed a mission-style clock in oak to match some furniture, so I designed and built this one.

The movement is a standard AA-battery model available from any number of sources.