Truss rod slot and intonation

Routed the truss rod slot for the bass.


1/4″ wide by 3/8″ deep, and all I did was use a straight bit in the router table. Took 4 or 5 passes and came out pretty clean. I squared up the body end with a chisel but didn’t take a close-up photo. It’ll be hidden anyway.


It’s just a bit deeper than it needs to be – maybe 1/32″. I still need to widen the headstock end for the adjustment nut. Not sure whether I want to use a 3/8″ round-nose router bit, or a round file and do it by hand.


On a side note, it seems that Rocksmith 2014 is a lot pickier about intonation than I am. I know I’m 10 cents sharp at the 17th fret or so, but that’s enough for the software to detect it as a wrong note. So I’m starting to work on correcting it – note the lack of a spring on the low E string above.

Yeah, the real fix is to move the bridge back about a half-inch, but that would mean a new pick guard, and you’ll notice that the output jack is in the way. This was built during a class, and the real lesson is to make sure everything fits the way you want it before cutting holes. Also, check to see that they didn’t send you a Mustang neck instead of a Strat neck by mistake.

Nothing inside

Hand resawing. Possible but not recommended.

body split

That took what seemed like forever.


Not the greatest job; here’s where I had some blade wandering. This may need the Saf-T-Planer to clean it up.tearout


And here’s the piece that was cut off. I’ll use it to make a control cavity cover. At least that’s the plan.thin part split

Bass neck started

I thought I had a taper cutting jig somewhere around here. (Blade guard removed for photo.)

Bass neck taper jig

The jig flexes a bit, so I didn’t get the greatest cut.

Bass neck scarf joint

I think I can make it work anyhow. Needs cleanup with a plane. (Hand planing maple. Ugh.)Bass neck scarf joint 2

That truss rod in the back will be included later.

Resaw the Hard Way

I know there must be better ways to do this, but they all seem to involve large bandsaws, which I don’t have.

Resawing the hard way

First you cut around the edges with the table saw (which really needs a tall fence to do it right) then use the resulting kerf as a guide for the handsaw. Simple, right? I figure if I take a few strokes every time I walk by, I’ll be done in a month or so.

In the future, I’ll try to remember to do this before gluing the halves together.

Doesn’t look like much…

…but buried somewhere in there is a short-scale electric bass. Probably.


maple on top for the neck, African mahogany (probably Khaya) for the body.

Should be enough for at least two bodies, or a body and some necks. You have to leave at least six feet of length at the lumberyard, so I had to buy the whole thing. (I already had the maple.)

Time to wait

Well, since I’m out of spray lacquer, that means it’s time to let it cure for a couple of weeks.


If you can smell it, it’s not dry enough yet.

Orange peel

Orange peel

That’ll buff right out.

Oh, I did a headstock decal too. Here it’s masked for spray satin varnish.


Pay no attention to the smudge